Konecranes has launched their new S-series overhead crane which after years of research, development and testing, includes Konecrane’s unique synthetic wire rope hoist. The synthetic wire rope hoist gives a barb-free operation, reduced maintenance costs as well as safer handling and easier load carrying.
- Emil Berning, Managing Director of Konecranes and Demag (Pty) Ltd says, “Konecranes has always believed that investment into research and development delivers improved performance and enhanced safety to our cranes and associated equipment where it matters most, on the factory floor, so we are exceptionally proud to launch this ground-breaking wire rope hoist and are the first crane manufacturer globally to introduce
- synthetic rope in our standard serial product.
- “The S-series represents the next generation of our company’s existing industry benchmarked equipment. It offers customers the latest in technology bringing innovation to, not only the wire rope hoist, but also motor drives, off-set reeving systems, clutches and brakes – all elements that deliver equipment that performs better, lasts longer, delivers greater operational savings, a cleaner and quieter environment, and most importantly adds greater operational safety.”
- Radical re-design
- “The S-series has been radically re-designed. In particular, the stepless hoisting movement and synthetic wire rope will make lifting more precise
- and powerful with enhanced control,” adds Emil. The new synthetic rope is perfect for reeving and its stable symmetric structure eliminates traditional
- rope defects. Less surface pressure reduces wear and tear considerably.
- A tilted drum and off-set reeving are two first-inthe- world innovations to eliminate peak rope forces and reduce the wear on reeving components. A
- standardised inverter for hoisting and unique Smart Features enable smooth and accurate load positioning with total control. The newly-designed main girder is the perfect fit for a runway, and the revolutionary sliding connection allows the end truck to better accommodate itself
- on the crane runway.
- “The new integrated Smart Features ensures that the new S-series system offers a superior performance comprising of advanced automation and accuracy. Customers can access a real-time view of their crane with Truconnect and see the benefits of our cutting-edge digital services.
- Total reliability
- “A key criterion of the S-series redesign is that it offers users total reliability. Every component has been carefully assessed during the re-development phase. The new S-series has for example, eliminated
- over-heating issues and introduces improved cooling systems. The synthetic wire rope hoist gives the customer more versatility between beams or frames and a greater lifting power of up to 6.3 tons, Emil highlights.
- “In addition to being barb-free, the new synthetic wire rope requires no lubrication, thereby reducing maintenance costs for the rope drum and sheaves. The revolutionary trolley and reeving arrangement also reduces wheel loads by up to 45% compared with previous hoist models.
- ” The new S-series cranes are equipped with sensors and have the capability to collect and send data. Via the your Konecranes portal (the digital service for operators, technicians and management) every
- customer can access all the necessary operational information that will ensure that their equipment is performing optimally, and all importantly, safely.
- Advanced technical specifications
- • New synthetic rope: The evolutionary synthetic rope is durable but light and doesn’t require lubrication. The rope features a strong, symmetric
- structure for fewer rope defects and safer handling.
- • The next generation reeving: the tilted rope drum enables more direct rope angles to decrease the wear and tear of reeving components. Offset
- reeving means more balanced wheel loads for less stress on the crane structure.
- • Independent brake: the re-designed independent brake is safer, quick and easy to maintain, and enables higher hoisting speeds.
- • Smart features for advanced handling and crane control: Rope angle measurement allows for the use of Smart Features including Hook Centering, Snag Prevention and Follow Me.
- • Hook centering: hook centering greatly reduces side pull during lifting by positioning the bridge and trolley directly over the load.
- • Snag prevention: Snag prevention is designed to stop all crane movement if the hook, sling or load is detected to be caught on an object.
- “We believe that our new S-series will re-set the industry benchmark. Its radical re-design sets new standards. It really is not merely an update, it is
- the new benchmark, and I see major benefits to production industries such as food and beverage, pharmaceuticals, pulp and paper, clean environments
- and general manufacturing,” concludes Emil. Konecranes’ S-series is one of three new lifting products the company has recently launched; the other re-designed and improved equipment ranges are the C-series and the M-series.
One Million Operations
“Our newly-launched C-series electric chain hoist has been designed using the latest technologies so that an enhanced and safe performance can be
delivered, while offering an optimal lifetime value. The unique C-series, is a new generation in electric chain hoists which, through its innovative design, can be used for over one million operations,” says Emil Berning, Managing Director or Konecranes and Demag (Pty) Ltd.
Launched late in 2019, the C-series has been ‘built smart’ with the toughness, precision and reliability of the company’s Core of Lifting components. “It is our most advanced electric chain hoist yet, with
a lifting capability of up to 5 000kg. Additionally, the C-series brings more control and mobility to working areas due to its new and more compact
hoist shape,” Emil comments.
The hoist, which boasts a redesigned motor cooling system, offers up to a 50% longer runtime than the previous generation, with a brake built for over a million operations. Safety features such as the operating limit switch and safety clutch have been enhanced for better performance and reliability. There designed chain sprocket pairing gives the chain a higher lifetime expectancy and ensures smooth and reliable operation.
Emil adds, “I believe that Konecranes has taken the electric chain hoist to a completely new level of operation through tangible state-of-the-art improvements that will make a major impact and difference to customer’s lifting facilities.”
Advanced lifting improvements
The C-series features an entirely new tough and durable motor. Less time is spent on servicing, resulting in more hoist uptime. The new motor also
offers more effective cooling leading to a reduction in heat and offering greater power. A longer continuous up to 60% is also a new enhancement.
The new self-adjusting brake system increases the coil life and reduces lifetime costs enabling over one million operations. An improved safety clutch system offers greater reliability while the updated fan gives more power. The brake always engages in the case of power loss, thereby increasing safety.
The redesigned sprocket works perfectly with the chain giving a prolonged chain lifetime. The C-series electric chain hoist also has a new top bracket design which is easily installed and multiple hoisting speeds with a 4:1 ratio are available. The bold new gearbox offers a tested reliability with lifetime lubrication which boosts productivity and lifting speeds. Performance and safety are also enhanced via the new safety clutch design. New angles in hoisting Designed for the efficient use of working space. Konecranes C-series is a product that takes into consideration operator requirements and ease of use. There is more comfort due to less vibration and lighter structures that give better working ergonomics. The C-series offers more control and mobility in working areas due to the improved shape and dimensions of the new hoist.
“The C-series is effective simplicity at its best, the hoist can be up and running in minutes due its simple and fast installation. Less downtime always equates to greater efficiencies. The new design offers easy access to all components and adjustments based on production needs and requires minimum effort with the 2/1 reeving by turning the top bracket 180°,” Emil elaborates.
“I believe customers will see significant improvements in efficiencies, performance and longevity with the C-series electric chain hoist, which comes with the Konecranes technical support and online data access that we are renowned for,” Emil concludes. Konecranes’ C-series is one of three new lifting products the company has recently launched; the other re-designed and improved equipment ranges are the S-series and the M-series.